Wednesday 20 May 2009

I don't like cricket...

...I love it! Not as much as footy though. Sat here with my leg in the air (akin to Katie Price by the sounds) watching the Friends Provident Trophy. It's okay, but not doing much for me. The vast empty seats at Edgbaston tell me that if Warwickshire members can't be arsed then I really am a sad twat for watching it. Bring on the Ashes!

I'm more interested with Sky News, as our old fast bowler Chris Lewis has got convicted for smuggling cocaine. What a prat! If you're going to smuggle the stuff, don't shove it in your cricket bag!!!! That's a schoolboy error I would do. It's brightened my day though. so fair play Chris.

Whatever would dear old Fred Trueman say?

Anyhow, this is a Wolves blog! So all seems quiet on the Molineux front. I do sense far more urgency this season that in close season 03, when Moxey and co went on holiday for a month. Seems like the club has learnt its lesson from that ill fated Premier attempt.
My one brush with one of our close season signing disasters was when Issac Okoronkwo almost mowed me down on the Merridale Road as I was at a pedestria crossing. I was almost angry until I saw it was him, and I then felt sorry for him...He was obviously on his way back from the training ground.

Right then, I keep hearing this Ramsay rumour so I am convinced that deal is in the bag! I also hear a cheeky bid on the cards for Darren Bent. Yes yes, you will all laugh, but what a statement of intent that would be! I'd fancy us with him and SEB in the team.
But highly unlikely.

Mind you, if Stevie Morgan is serious, and I am sure he is, when he says we will not be happy with a bottom 4 finish, then why not?

Arron Mokoena at Blackburn is another to be linked with us. Any other Arron's we could shoehorn into the side? Arron McClean? Not any more!

Then there are some 'difficult-to-spell' centre halves in the frame.

I do like the sound of Sean Davis, he'd do a job and wouldn't be unhappy with him around the first team. No thanks to Nicky Butt. aside from the fact he is old past it and slow, how would he react when we start singing 'Baby Give it Up' with Sylvan lyrics? That was his song at the Theatre of Dreams was it not?

Anyway, I digress until Thursday or Friday. (probably Thursday night as we are off to Barmouth for a wet Bank Holiday Friday!)

A quiz question to leave you with...What is the only club out of 92 Football League Clubs NOT to be named after a place?
Quite an easy one this. No beer as a prize this time!

Ciao folks.

6 comments:

  1. I going to say Arsenal, althought there original name was Woolich Arsenal.

    I like the idea of Bent, but think if you going to pay money for him, I think Kenwyne Jones is a better bet. Heard Matt Derbyshire from Blackburn who is on loan with Olympiakas has done enough to get them interested in making a £2m bid for him, he always seems to score when I saw him.

    I also heard that Yobo is not signing a new contract at Everton.

    I just don't want to see anyone in the bottom half of the Prem linked to anyone we are not in for as well. I think we are a bigger pull than Hull, Stoke and Sunderland so the likes of a Jones, Tuncay or a Giovanni should be viable targets for us.

    Here's one for you to think about. Middlesborough have slapped a £9m price tag on Wheater, if they go down, maybe a £7m bid would do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you just copied and pasted the gossip page off the bbc website!!! Derbyshire, Yobo, Wheater!! You missed off us going in for Alonso and Gashley Cole!!

    Think we need to be realistic here!! If Kenwyne Jones is to be transfered there will be bigger clubs than us interested in him! Same for Yobo. Same for Bent. And Wheater for £9m is just ridiculous!! Good young promising defender (exactly what we need) but no way is he worth that or the £7m. Not saying that any of these wouldn't be amazing signings but think we have to be careful not to be the usual blinkered Wolves fans and think whoever we want the club to sign they will come to us. And that just because we have said we've got money to spend that we'd start paying over the odds for players

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I'd be happy with Jordi Gomez (he was the best player I can remember seeing last season apart from our own) and Jason Scotland. But there again, is my bar conversely too low?! And also, Gomez excelled in a 4-5-1 which MM won't entertain.
    Would the team below get relegated? I loved Tommy H when he was on loan, he can play centre back and would be a great signing. I also loved the look of Aliadiere (and his girlfriend!) until Hoddle started getting all krypton factor on us.
    Theyre both young, and both have premier experience.
    But is it too gung ho with the wingers? I actually think Hill is the best left back we have at the club (my mates don't agree).
    I honestly think we need to reign it in next year or face getting smashed, so a 4-3-3 (4-5-1) could be the future in many games. But who to play?! He can't not play Berra, a £2.5m man can he! Hmm, decisions decisions!

    Hennessey

    Foley Stearman Huddlestone Hill

    Kightly Henry Ramsay Jarvis

    Aliadiere

    SEB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the BBC gossip column is a great font of knowledge for me.

    I don't think £7m signings is getting carired away in the slightest, £7m will is exactly the area we should be in. Everton's record singning £15m for that nasty piece of work with the afro, West Ham £9m for Brescia striker Savio Nsereko (WHO???), Fulham £8.6m for Andy Johnson, Aston Villa £9.5m for Ashley young.

    These are the best clubs outside thew top 4 and lets not forget Pompey, stuggled this year but a good side for the last two seasons, record buy £11M for Peter Crouch

    Now lets look at the poorer sides in the prem shall we??

    Blackburn £8m for Andy Cole from Man U (Andy Cole!!! That tells you how long ago it was when they spent £7M, Wigan £6m for Charles N'Zogbia, Sunderland £9m for a flop of a Jock keeper, Hull £5M for a 30 year old Jimmy Bullard, West Brom £4.7M for Borja Valero (WHO???)

    £7M will get you just about better than relagation fodder!!!!!!

    Now who is being unrealistic???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one. You've just listed a load of clubs who have finished down the bottom of the league after paying over the odds for players!!

    Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you 100% that we need to spend money to stay up but I want us to use the money we have wisely. Something that a lot of clubs don’t do when they come up. Perhaps its also still a hangover from the Haywood days. I hate how in the past we'd come out and say we've got X million to spend so instantly the price being quoted to us goes up.

    What I was trying to say was paying £7m for Weater would be over the odds. I'd sign him for sure but is he worth that. I'm really not sure!! And if we have got £7m to spend on one player I'm sure there are other players out there that are probably better value for our money. I don’t think we have got the money to go out and sign 5 or 6 £7m players. I’d say we could only afford to spend that figure (or higher) on one player. We are going to need to use our money to build a team because lets face it we are some way off yet. Agree with you about Scotland and Gomez (definately the best player we saw down here last season), they would add to our squad. Proven players at championship level and obviously ready for the challenge of stepping up to the Prem. Marry these type of signings with a couple of shrewd purchases of premiership experienced players and one big money signing and I think we could be in business!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers for the posts lads. Ed, we have got to meet up for a beer before one of the games then! Have we met before? I hope I'm not being particularly ignorant and we are already best mates!!!

    Right then, I'm off to Barmouth.

    To answer the question I posed...my answer is Port Vale. Nobody knows where the name Port Vale comes from. Apparently it might have been the name of a nearby hotel many moons ago, or something to do with a canal network. It is definitely not named after a place in Stoke on Trent!

    As for Arsenal, I believe it was named Woolwich Arsenal originally, and was shortened. So I have discounted it!

    I'm loving the banter between you both. I know what Pete is going to say though...How much worse would those crappy teams who spunked all that cash be WITHOUT players like Alves et al? The mind boggles.

    I do agree with your point about the Wolves Ed. I too hate the days of Mark Atkins, Steve Sedgley, Simon Osborne, Ade Williams, Mark Williams (although I did like Ozzy at times!) where teams knew we were minted and as such we got the piss taken out of us in the transfer market.

    Hence the Golden Tit speech I guess!

    I have got another one for you...Dean Ashton. It says in the Mirror that Zola wants rid. If we can get him fit, then he'd be a cracking buy. Big if though.

    Laters.

    ReplyDelete